G2 cameras were designed for demanding scientific applications and for high-end astrophotography. Very high quantum efficiency (more than 85% in the case of G2-3200 camera) allows capturing of very faint objects. High quality electronics provides uniform images without artifacts and the read noise is limited by the CCD detectors themselves. Regulated cooling of CCD up to 50 Grad C below ambient temperature significantly reduces detector dark current. Cameras have integrated filter wheel with 5 positions for 1.25" filters in threated cells or with 6 positions for glass-only filters and mechanical shutter.
G2-0400, G2-1600 and G2-3200 cameras with non-ABG (anti-blooming gate) Kodak KAF CCD chips are suitable for scientific applications, requiring both high quantum efficiency and linear response to light.
G2-2000 and G2-4000 cameras with Kodak KAI CCD chips with ABG (anti-blooming gate) are suitable for astrophotography?anti-blooming of KAI CCDs eliminates charge blooming when bright stars appear in the field of view.
G2-8300 camera with Kodak KAF CCD with ABG, also suitable for astrophotography, especially in combination with telescopes with smaller focal length due to small pixels and large resolution.
Model CCD ABG Color mask Resolution Pixel size Chip area
G2-0402 KAF0402ME no none 768 × 512 9 × 9 micron 6.9 × 4.6 mm
G2-1600 KAF1603ME no none 1536 × 1024 9 × 9 micron 13.8 × 9.2 mm
G2-3200 KAF3200ME no none 2184 × 1472 6.8 × 6.8 micron 14.9 × 10.0 mm
G2-8300 KAF8300 yes none 3358 × 2536 5.4 × 5.4 micron 18.1 × 13.7 mm
G2-8300C KAF8300 yes RGBG (Bayer) 3358 × 2536 5.4 × 5.4 micron 18.1 × 13.7 mm
G2-2000 KAI2020 yes none 1604 × 1204 7.4 × 7.4 micron 11.8 × 8.9 mm
G2-2000C KAI2020 yes RGBG (Bayer) 1604 × 1204 7.4 × 7.4 micron 11.8 × 8.9 mm
G2-4000 KAI4022 yes none 2056 × 2062 7.4 × 7.4 micron 15.2 × 15.2 mm
G2-4000C KAI4022 yes RGBG (Bayer) 2056 × 2062 7.4 × 7.4 micron 15.2 × 15.2 mm
Camera handling and image processing software SIPS
SIPS (Simple Image Processing System) is a powerful software package for camera control and image processing.
- Complete control of both imaging and guiding cameras, filter wheel handling and sequential exposures.
- Image native format is FITS, export to PNG, JPG, TIFF, GIF formats, recording of AVI sequences.
- Advanced automatic guiding with sub-pixel precision.
- Simple as well as complex image calibration, handling of whole sets of images at once.
- Automatic registration and stacking of images.
- Image basic operations (adding, median, ...), advanced multi-pass debayer processing of images taken by color CCD detectors.
- Astrometric image reduction.
- Telescope mount control.
- Data read from GPS receivers, synchronization of location and observing time.
- and many more functions.
SIPS software package is available for download for free from www.gxccd.com.
Also available are Gx camera drivers for MaxIm DL and AstroArt software packages as well as ASCOM universal drivers.